Community Managed Disaster Risk Reduction (CMDRR)
CMDRR project running aimed at to achieve Disaster Resilient Community. Our major initiative is to build peoples' organization that could assist community identifies their different threats, causes of those and find the way to address those causes by their own initiative through optimum utilization of their available resources and potentials. CMDRR also aimed at to bridge the gap between community and different service providing agency including government (Upazila Administration) and Local Government Institution (LGI). Aimed at cooperative and collaborative effort in establishing a Disaster Resilient Community we initiated dialogue and discussion in the community among different sector people. Through our intervention people is sharing their ideas among themselves, outsider, government officials, local government leader, civil society member, teachers, religious leader, different service providing agency personnel etc. Activities are highly appreciated and supported from each sector people
Duration : September 2009 to ongoing
To strengthen 50 CMDRR committees at 50 villages of project area and to strengthen one coordination committee at upazila level so that these committees ultimately take responsibilities and role of CMDRR by their own decisions
To increase capacity of 5000 extremely poor direct beneficiary households so that they can cope with negative impacts of climate changes and disaster risk.
To aware and educate school students and cross sectional people on negative impacts of climate changes, negative impacts of eco-system imbalance and water pollution and to educate people on disaster risks and vulnerability assessment to hazards and to make inventory of capacity of community people.
To influence policies and policy implication of local government officials and people in power structure to take realistic and need based measures for reduction of vulnerabilities and risks of extreme poor people to disasters.
Formation/organization of CMDRRC at villages
- Organization of CMDRR CC
- Development and education to committees on CMDRR concept and module
- Training to CMDRRC and CMDRRCC on leadership and management, formulation and implement of contingency plan, IEC use, SOD and sphere standard, advocacy and lobby process, participatory monitoring and evaluation and impact assessment,
- Training to UC members on reduction of women and children vulnerabilities and risk
- Simulation on CMDRR
- Setting community learning centre (CLC) at union
- Training on how to manage CLCs and how to use and utilize materials
- Household profile of selected EP
- Advocacy and lobby in union and UNO office for EP
- Provide sanitary latrine and safe water facilities to EP
- CRA on capacity, hazards and risks mapping
- Campaign meeting with rich and business leaders, civil society and government for EP employment and livelihood issue
- Conduct class sessions on climate and environment etc at high schools
- Demonstration CMDRR coping mechanism at selected schools to reduce disaster risk and vulnerability
- Video films show at schools on climate change and CMDRR
- Folk Functions-Drama and songs on CMDRR-Risks to sensitize community people.
- Disaster day observance
- Raise awareness among community people about CMDRR.
- Workshop on humanitarian charter and minimum standard in disaster response (Sphere standard) with union and upazila DMCs
- Dialogue with press media, civil society and elected members on women, children, elderly and disabled vulnerable issues and climate change
- Convention of CMDRRC on CMDRR and sphere standard issue at upazila and district
- Workshop with government officials and media on climate change
- Training to project staff
- Training staff on contingency planning process
The impact of the project in context to the overall objective can be measured by following impact indicators.
Perception, knowledge about vulnerabilities, risks of disasters, degree of accountability during emergency response actions and level of coping ability of targeted people at village level;
Capacity of food security (2 meals a day), sanitation, safe water, shelter security, settlement options and means of survival during non disaster and disaster period;
Regular income options and livelihood security;
Reduction of discrimination against and increase of women voice, dignity and security;
Reduction of women and children mortality and communicable diseases incidences;
Pro-extreme poor and women CMDRR policy implication and responsible government officials;
Union contingency plans and resources mobilization.
There are 03 visions that will be full filled through achievement of the overall objective of the project.
The vision of CMDRR is to make the community people strong in terms of knowledge, perception, economic ability, advocacy power and social unity to face adverse situation of climate change and disasters.
The other vision of CMDRR is to change behavior of community to practice acquired knowledge for health well-being, good environment and sanitation maintenance;
- Vision & Mission
- Legal Status
- Area of Interest
- Working Area
- Partnership / Networks
- We Believe in
- Strategic Directions
- Current Program
- Organizational Strength
- Capacity Building
- Previous Experience
- Exceptional Community
- Provided Services
- Photo Gallery
- Site Map
- Contact Information
- Google Map